Friday, May 25, 2012

Interpersonal Relationships and Communication Skills Day 1

The single biggest problem in communication is that it has taken place. ~ George Bernard Shaw This was the quote Jenessa (my teacher) put on the board just before starting class. It really struck a chord with me because I know I have problems communicating. I want to speak, but I'm always worried that the words and gestures I'm using are coming across wrong. I often feel like I lack certain social skills. I feel this class will be good for me. I really hope to learn a lot from it that I can use in my personal life as well as my professional life. I worry that I have often burned bridges that did not need to be burned, and probably would not have been, had I taken the time to realize how the words I was using may have sounded to another person. I am especially hopeful to see how my inner monologue changes during this class. One of my favorite quotes is, "If you had a friend who talked to you like you talk to yourself, you wouldn't want them around very long." It's so true. I am often putting down my efforts and trying to squash my dreams. I will not be doing that anymore. For every negative thought I direct towards myself, I will say two positives. I believe that hearing myself say these things, rather than just thinking them, will make my mind believe them more.

2 comments:

  1. Try talking yourself up in the mirror. That's SUPER hard :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can imagine! I should try it sometime (just maybe not today ;)

      Delete